Tuesday 24 April 2012

Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel

I’ve used various different products from the Peter Thomas Roth range for quite a few years now, and have been happy with almost everything I’ve tried from the brand. I’m a big fan of PTR Botanical Buffing Beads and Oil free moisturiser, and I always have a bottle of Acne Clearing Gel to help dry up blemishes and unclog pores. Recently, when on the hunt for a chemical exfoliant to help fade acne scarring without drying my skin, I stumbled upon Peter Thomas Roth’s Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel and after reading reviews, I decided to give it a go. 


The Peter Thomas Roth description: A lightweight gel with anti-oxidants, glycolic acid and advanced cell renewal action to increase cell turn-over and help diminish the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging. 

Supplies lost moisture, anti-oxidants, and glycolic acid to aging and sun-damaged skin. Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging while clarifying the skin and smoothing out rough texture. 

Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel

Fine lines and wrinkles are not a big concern for me at the moment, but rough texture and acne scarring are, and I’m pleased to report that PTR Hydrating gel has worked well in both of those areas.

The clear gel, which looks almost identical to the brands Acne Clearing Gel is supposed to be applied every other night for the first two weeks, then every night after that. I’ve used similar glycolic products in the past, and although my skin isn’t particularly sensitive, I know it’s a good idea to follow instructions to avoid any major irritation. I did get a tiny amount of irritation the first few times I applied the product (some minor redness and stinging), but nothing major.


The gel is fairly thin/watery in consistency and one pump is enough to cover my face in a thin layer of product. It spreads well, but takes a little while to absorb. It sort of sits on top of skin for a good ten minutes after it’s been applied, before disappearing completely. It feels nice and light-weight, leaves no residue behind after it’s absorbed, and provides just enough hydration for my oily skin type. I’m not sure if it would be moisturising enough for normal and drier skins, but the instructions do say you can follow up with moisturiser/other treatments after the gel has sunk in.


Since I started using the gel I’ve noticed quite a big improvement in the texture of my skin. It feels softer/smoother, pores look less obvious, and foundation applies much better. I’d just finished dealing with a pretty bad break out before I started using this, too, and had a lot of marks/scarring left on my skin.The gel has really helped to fade them over the last few months and also helps to prevent any major scarring/purple marks from fresh break outs.

Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Gel and a couple of other skincare products, I'm currently liking

Overall, I’m pleased with the results I’m seeing with the gel, and used in conjunction with a few other products, I’m managing to keep blemishes under control. I still get spots, but they seem to be healing more quickly, and I haven’t had any of those big, underground buggers for a while now. My skincare routine is fairly simple at the moment, and my skin seems to be liking it that way.

Available from Beautybay.com (£30.95 for a 57ml bottle)

Have you tried anything from the Peter Thomas Roth range?

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great product, I'm frustrated with my acne scarring and like that this sounds like it is quite easy to use as well. I would love to see reviews of the other products you've mentioned here, too. Especially Avene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy to use, Emma! And it's helped a lot with the scars I had left from my recent break out. I find glycolic acid products generally work well at fading acne scarring and smoothing out rough skin texture, but some of them can be a bit harsh/drying. This one's pretty gentle! I already reviewed the Avene Cleanance Gel a little while ago, and will do a review on the Effaclar K soon.

      Delete
  2. I have this product as well and though I don't use it every other night like recommended, I do use it when my skin has had a break out. It definitely helps smoothing those blemishes and making them appear less obvious. The only thing I don't like about this product is the smell... it smells a bit funny haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a bit of a funky smell! :D It seems to fade quite quickly after it's been applied, though.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate that you included your skin type in this review! I will have to check this out the next time I'm in Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's definitely worth checking out if you have issues with sun damage, scarring, or rough skin texture. As I said, it works well without being drying/irritating. I've tried quite a few different products from the range now, and find they all work well, actually! The only thing I've been disappointed with is the Anti Shine Mattifying Gel, which I think has now been replaced.

      Delete
  4. Hm, I am intrigued! I have some sun spots and scarring that I'd like to work on, and I've never tried a glycolic acid treatment before. I think these are available at Sephora, too, so I'll take a look! Thanks for the review, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review, I have issues with texture and acne scarring so this product sounds interesting. I haven't tried anything else from PTR other then the Acne & Area treatment so will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing, I also love Effaclar K but it's so drying :(. Never tried anything from this brand before, so I'll defo investigate further :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I really appreciate and read each and every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...